Thursday 18 October 2012
There are many versions of the Thieves Oil Recipe. It is highly antibacterial, antiviral and anti-infectious. You can purchase it or make your own.
I use thieves essential oil for just about everything. It is safe for the environment plus it contains health giving properties. When you clean with thieves essential oil you kill germs such as mold, viruses and bacteria, purify the air, and boost your family’s immune system all at the same time! That is truly amazing!
Image taken from Young Living Essential Oils
The uses for Thieves Oil are almost endless. There are many creative ways you can use it for cleaning and disinfecting, maintaining family health and in the care of illness.
This is an oil blend that I highly recommends for your first aid kit because it is so powerful and versatile.
I use this oil blend on all family members including my baby. Of course always dilute with a vegetable or carrier oil before using it. The bottom of the feet is highly effective and also the safest place to apply oils. Test for sensitivity first.
I have included thieves oil recipes for disinfecting around the home, recipes for common ailments, and recipes for maintaining your family’s health and wellness. These suggestions are enough to get you started. Soon you will have your own creative ways of using Thieves Oil. The sky's the limit!
The basic Thieves Oil Recipe was created from research on a band of thieves who were miraculously protected from the black plaque. Even though they plundered from the highly contagious, dead-and-dying, plague victims, they were protected and did not contract the dreaded disease. Their secret formula was a blend of essential oils that they rubbed all over their bodies.
Young Living Essential Oils has a proprietary blend based on this thieves oil recipe.
This Thieves Oil Blend was tested at Weber State University in Utah, and found to have a 99.96 percent kill rate against airborne bacteria. Young Living's Thieves Oil blend was found to be highly anti-infectious and supportive of the immune system.
Due to its potent antimicrobial properties, thieves oil can offer you and your family protection against illness, including colds, flu, bronchitis, pneumonia, sore throats, etc.
If you prefer to buy the pre-made blend of Thieves Oil from Young Living Essential Oils instead of making your own Thieves Oil Recipe, you can do so.
There are approximately 250 drops of essential oil in a 15 ml bottle of Young Livings Thieves Essential Oil. Since it is so highly concentrated and most recipes call for diluting it, you will get many uses from just one bottle.
If you are interested in making your own thieves oil recipe then please use therapeutic grade oils only. This is so important for your family's health and safety. If you want to make your own blend, here is the Thieves Oil recipe:
Thieves Oil Recipe
200 drops of Clove Oil (Syzgium aromaticum)
175 drops of Lemon Oil (Citrus Limon)
100 drops of Cinnamon Bark (Cinnamomum verum)
75 drops of Eucalyptus Oil (Eucalyptus radiata)
50 drops of Rosemary Oil (Rosmarinus officinalis)
Store in a dark glass container away from heat and sunlight. Preferably in a cool location.
*Note: One 15 ml bottle of essential oil contains approximately 250 drops and one 5 ml bottle contains approximately 85 drops.
Here are some of the basic Thieves Oil Recipe dilutions I use. You can experiment with these to come up with your own thieves oil recipes.
"Thieves Oil Recipe" All-purpose Spray: This is an all-purpose spray solution for cleaning and disinfecting around the home, purifying the air and eliminating odors
1 drop of thieves essential oil for each ounce of water.
Add the thieves oil first, then add water. It mixes better that way. Shake vigorously before each use.
Basic Thieves Oil Recipe for Topical Application and Massage:
1 drop of thieves oil to 4 drops carrier oil.
Massage on the feet (vita flex points), lower back, neck and behind the ears.
We use this dilution for everyone. Babies too, though usually just on their feet. Test for sensitivity first.
*Note: This thieves oil recipe is excellent for daily use as protection against germs, especially during the cold and flu season.
Thieves Oil for Diffusing
Diffusing Thieves Oil will purify the air and eliminate odors.
Diffuse 15-20 drops of thieves oil for 15 minutes three or four time a day in an essential oil diffuser. This can help protect against infectious germs. This is valuable during cold and flu season or during infectious outbreaks.
If our house or family members have been exposed to any infectious germs we run the diffuser continuously for a few hours. At the very first sign of any symptoms we diffuse continually at 100 percent until symptoms subside. I like to add a few drops of lemon essential oil along with the thieves in the diffuser for respiratory infections.
We also run the diffuser in the bedroom of anyone who is sick, while they sleep at night. This gets a continuous flow of the therapeutic oils into the respiratory tract and is very healing.
Thieves Oil Recipes for Internal Use
*Use Thieves Oil internally for extra protection
I only recommend therapeutic grade oils to use internally due to their purity and safety.
1. Add 2-3 drops of Thieves and 4-6 drops of vegetable oil to a size “OO” capsule and take daily.
2. Drop 1-2 drops directly onto your tongue.
3. Mix 1-2 drops in a spoonful of honey or Agave and swallow.
4. Mix 1-2 drops in a glass of soy, almond or rice milk.
5. Mix 1-2 drops in juice or water.
5. Put 1-2 drops onto a slice of bread.
6. Lick a drop off the top of your hand.
Thieves Oil Recipes for Household Use
1. Stuffed Animals – To disinfect and clean, place toy inside pillowcase and tie shut. Fill washer with detergent, use fabric softener if desired. Add 5-10 drops of Thieves Essential Oil, (for small load) to washing machine. Wash on gentle cycle.
2. Hair spray buildup, gum, gummy adhesive -Dilute 8 drops in 4 ounces of water, spray,let set for a few minutes before wiping.
3. Cell phones-Spray thieves cleaning solution very lightly on a cloth and gently wipe phone.
4. Dishwasher- add 4-5 drops to thoroughly clean dishes, eliminate bacteria and odors.
5. Laundry- add 5-6 drops per load to freshen and disinfect.
6. Pet Bedding-Spray down cat boxes, dog houses, and pet cages to clean and disinfect.
7. Pet Dishes- Add 1-2 drops to soapy water and wash dishes. Rinse well.
8. Plants-To repel aphids spray plants with a mixture of 2 drops thieves to every 4 ounces of water.
9. Floors-add a 10-15 drops to ½ bucket of cleaning water.
10. Surface Disinfectant-To clean and sanitize surfaces-add 8 drops to 8 oz of water in spray bottle.
11. Fragrance-Add a few drops to potpourri or cinnamon sticks to fragrance your home.
12. Add several drops of oil onto a cotton ball and place in home, office, car, or hotel air vents to mask odor and purify the air.
13. Drop 4–5 drops onto a cloth and place in clothes dryer to freshen laundry.
14. Bed Bugs-Spray mattresses to help dispel bed bugs.
15. Add 4-5 drops to sink water and wash children's toys to clean and disinfect.
Thieves Oil for Common Ailments
1. Flu: Dilute 15 drops with 15 drops of carrier oil. Apply to lower back (where viruses and bacteria tend to hibernate), to the upper back of thighs, and back of neck to help with symptoms.
*Note: When I get the flu and have body aches, I massage Thieves undiluted or “neat” to my lower back, and on the top back of my thighs with “excellent” results. The relief is amazing. Some members of our family have sensitive skin and it is too "hot" if they don't dilute it. So always test first for sensitivity and have vegetable oil nearby to wipe off if necessary.
2. Immune support: Dilute 1 drop of thieves to 4 drops carrier oil and apply to feet. Apply twice daily, morning and night, for extra support during cold and flu season. (especially before leaving for school, work, or going out in public)
3. Bronchitis: Apply to lower back, sternum, chest and throat, sinus and bronchial vita-flex points.
4. Insect bites (mosquito, bee & wasp stings): Apply to bite or sting to reduce inflammation, relieve pain and counteract toxins.
5. Sore throat: Add 2-3 drops to 2 tbsp. of water and gargle, or add 1 drop of thieves and 1 drop lemon essential oil in warm water, drink as tea.
You can lick 1 drop off top of your hand and swallow or you can drop 1-2 drops directly on your tongue, swish around in mouth to mix with saliva, and swallow slowly.
6. Cuts and scrapes: Dilute 1 drop thieves oil to 4 drops of vegetable or carrier oil to prevent and apply to wound to help prevent infection and speed healing and you can apply diluted thieves on gauze or band-aid and cover wound or scrape
7. Headache: Place a drop on your thumb and place on the roof of your mouth. May require repeated applications. Be careful not to lick your lips as this can burn. Use vegetable or carrier oil to wipe off if you do.
8. Head and lung congestion: Place a few drops in a steaming bowl of hot water, cover head with towel and inhale vapors.
9. Poison Ivy: 2 drops of thieves mixed with 2 drops of vegetable or carrier oil, if there is swelling add 2 drops of lavender.
10. Acne: Apply undiluted to pimple. This works great and drys the pimple out quickly. If skin is too sensitive dilute with water.
11. Antibiotic blend:
10 drops of Thieves Oil
6 drops of oregano
2 drops of frankincense
Place in a “00” capsule and take daily.
12. Freshen Breath: Drop directly on the tongue, or add to a spoonful of honey or Agave, or even on a piece of bread and swallow for unpleasant breath.
Thieves Oil Recipe for Health and Wellness
1. Put a drop of thieves on your toothbrush before brushing to kill cavity producing germs and to sanitize your toothbrush.
2. Mouthwash: Add 1 drop per ounce of water, shake well before use.
3. Toothpaste: Add 2 drops to 4 tbsp. of baking soda, place in small container (not plastic) and shake well. Dip toothbrush in mixture and brush.
4. For protection against colds, flu, and other infectious disease apply to the bottom of feet.
5. Add 1 drop to a bottle of water and drink during the day to boost immune system, break up internal mucous, and help clean digestive tract.
6. Add 1 drop thieves to a cup of warm water and drink as a tea, wait 15 minutes before eating, excellent for and cleaning digestive system.
7. Add 1 drop to orange juice, soy milk, apple juice, etc. to boost immune system, break up phlegm and congestion.
8. Place 1–3 drops in a size “00” capsule with 4-6 drops of vegetable oil and swallow daily to boost immune system and support longevity. Adds extra support during cold and flu season.
9. Theives Oil Recipe for Flu:
I think I picked this up from a talk by Gary Young, founder of Young Living:
6 drops of Thieves Essential Oil 4 drops Oregano Essential Oil 4 drops of Mountain Savory Essential Oil 2 drops of hyssop Essential Oil.
Place in a size “00” capsule and take up to four times a day. This works!!!
10. Thieves Oil Recipe for Sore throat:
Thieves spray formula- 1 drop of Thieves Oil to 1 ounce of water.
Information taken from Natural Aromatherapy Benefits.Com